Last day of school moms are all like, “Yeah! We don’t have to pack any more lunches!”
And kids are like, “Yeah but like we are home every single day for like 60 days and we have to eat to live and stuff.”
Moms everywhere: Oh. Right.
I never really minded making school lunches to tell you the truth. My kid’s lunch is always the same. A sandwich hater since he could pick up bread made lunches a bit tricky for us. He finally settled on a plain raspberry jelly sandwich, three side fruits, and two packaged snacks. Throw in the once a week hot pasta lunch and, his favourite, once every other week pizza Friday – BOOM! Easy peasy. Summer lunches however?
This kid thinks I run damn diner when he’s at school.
My lunch is usually the missing cake he looks for when he gets home from school.
“The dog ate it”
OK. OK. OK.
I could not stand to watch him eat raspberry jelly sandwiches every day let alone just once.
It turns my stomach.
So what is a mom to do for a semi picky kid who hates sandwiches?
Jazz up the sandwich by combining his favourite things!
Thanks to the Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 MultiGrill™ (25600) I was able to combine my son’s favourite toppings and make it into a super quick and flavourful lunch for all of us.
12 of your favourite local bakery buns or grab a package of dinner rolls at the grocery store (The Hamilton Beach 3-1 MultiGrill™ fit 9 of our bakery’s thick round buns when squished down firmly)
1 cup pizza sauce
12 slices of mozzarella cheese
30 – 40 slices pepperoni
For the Butter topping
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tblsp oregano (only added to some sliders because green things in food and my kid are like Superman and kryptonite)
- Preheat this bad boy – The Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 MultiGrill™ – to 350 degrees
2. While the grill is heating, lay out a cookie sheet or long cutting board. This will be your area to assemble the sliders.
3. Next, take the rolls and slice them horizontally. Then on the outside portions where the grill will make contact, butter the tops and the bottoms of the buns using a brush (or you can just dunk the side in like I did! I’m not fancy.). Lay them open faced on the cookie sheet or cutting board.
4. Spread the pizza sauce evenly onto the bottom part of the rolls. Now I know you’re thinking that these are going to get squished out the sides once the grill is pressed. Don’t worry about that right now.
5. Add the cheese slices, covering the sauce.
6. Add the pepperoni on top of the cheese.
7. Add the tops of the buns.
8. The 3-in-1 MultiGrill™ will be preheated when the green light is on – when it is, place all the sliders on to the grill! You’re ready to go!
LOWER THE LID!
You might be cringing thinking of the cheese and sauce oozing out. Just a bit did. But this bad boy cleans up really well. Just wait for it!
9. These took 5 minutes to cook. But to be sure, do a quick check at the 3 minute mark depending upon how thick your buns were. These came out absolutely perfect. Crisp. Warm. Melty. Good.
Serve with a side of sauce for dipping and you’re good to go for lunch or even dinner.
The Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 MultiGrill™ is perfect for jazzing up your summer lunches and even dinners.
A little bit about the grill itself:
- 100 sq. in. nonstick surface
- Opens flat to cook as combo grill/griddle with double the cooking surface
- Indoor grill, griddle and bacon cooker all in one
- Cooks perfectly crisp bacon with no messy splatter
- Removable, nonstick cooking plates are dishwasher safe
- Adjustable temperature control
- Pull-out drip tray is dishwasher safe
- Unique kickstand tilts up to drain grease away
And remember that mess I was talking about?
Here it is.